the facts and tips about Peru we suggest you know before
making your trip to Peru. Exchange rates, health services,
security, embassies, customs, emergencies, medical
assistance... Peru is a friendly country, but, as anywhere
else, precautions are always important to take. Let's help
you to find out how you can visit...
|Summary: Colca Canyon Biking for all mountain
biking lovers, Peru has one of the largest networks of Inca
remains and following the innumerable trails that connect
with the most amazing sites in the Cusco, Puno, Nasca, Lima,
Arequipa, Paracas, passing through remote villages out of
the reach of motorized vehicles, and having the chance to
get know local Andean communities and learn their amazing
life style. Mountain Biking is a relatively new sport in
Peru, but new routes are rapidly being opened up, many of
which offer excellent opportunities to ride.
|Intineray Day by Day:(B)= breakfast / (L)= lunch /
Day 1 Arequipa - Pampas Cañahuas National Reserve -
Patapampa 4850m Downhill Biking - Chivay - Yanque Hot
At 8am we start our daily private tour to the second deepest
canyon in the world, driving on the left side of Chachani
mountain (6070m), continue going up to 4400m, is a Natural
Reserve of Salinas and Aguada Blanca, is the nature habitat
for the Vicuñas, one of South American camelidos, groups of
Llamas, Alpacas, small lagoons next to the road (Bofedales).
At 11am arrival to the highest pass named Patapampa (4850m)
from here you viewing nice mountainous range, death and
active volcanoes such us Ampato, Coropuna, Ubinas and large
extended of landscape. Briefing about the downhill mountain
biking. Downhill biking on the nice serpentine payment road
for beginners and for adventurous bikers this downhill offer
many single track on 1300m of downhill. The mountain biking
tours takes 2 hours viewing nice landscape through the small
hills and springs.
At 1pm enter to the capital of Caylloma province, this town
is named Chivay (3600m) and considerate the most important
commercial town in all Colca canyon. Lunch at Chivay and
then continue biking on le right bank of Colca River through
pre Incas terracing and local people working on their daily
activities. After 2 hours more arrival to Yanque village
(3400m) and visit the main church and a local museum running
by local government where is possible to appreciate remains
of the Collahua culture.
At 5pm short downhill to the Colca River where we visit the
Hot Spring (45ºC) located next of the river. Plenty time to
enjoy the thermal bath and then transfer to the hotel in
Yanque. Stay at nice and charm hotel at this quiet village
without tourism (L - D).
Day 2: Yanque - Colca Canyon - Cruz Del Condor Viewpoint
- Cabanaconde - Downhill Llahuar Lodge - Hot Spring:
At 6am camp breakfast and the transfer to Condor Cross
viewpoint, at this place is possible to appreciate the fly
of Condors or sometimes seating on the big rocks around the
cliffs, two hours spending looking this amazing and biggest
bird in the world, also viewing many villages at the deep
part of this spectacular Canyon.
At 10am we take again our mountain bikes and downhill on the
dirt road along the left side of this canyon. Nice downhill
through pre Inca terraces and mountainous range. Short stop
in Cabanaconde (3280m) for a energetic snack, after continue
downhill to the deepest part of the canyon, descend on dirt
serpentine road feeling the change of different ecological
floors along the way. For experienced bikers are available
technical single track along the way. For beginners we
suggest to take the main road and enjoy the best views of
the second deepest canyon in the world. At 2pm arrive to
Soro (2000m) abandoned valley we cross the Colca River by
suspension bridge builded long time ago. We walk in a cactus
forest and following nice track used by local people.
Llahuar lodge is considerate the most quiet and recently
discover place to stay in the bottom of the canyon. After
late lunch you can enjoy the nature thermal bath next of the
river. Stay in nice bamboo room accompanied by starry sky(B
- L - D).
Day 3: Llahuar Lodge - Huambo - Ampato Viewpoint - El
Pedregal - Arequipa:
At 6am after packing everything we take our country
breakfast under sun rising and wonder view of a new day.
Trekking by the same trail used day before until Soro valley
where will be waiting our own private 4x4 vehicle and drive
up to the pass (4100m) and downhill to Huambo town (3000m)
and we will see some quite and nice farmers living from the
agriculture, spectacular views of this dry and deepest area
of this canyon. Continue travel in our 4x4 we will reach the
highest point (4300m) of this day where is a perfect lookout
of Ampato Volcano, driving around this volcano we will in
the middle of two small Volcanoes of Qerqe plain. From here
is possible to ride our MT bike all the way down from the
highlands to the coast, descending 2800m at 40km. After 3
hours on our bikes we will be in EL PEDREGAL, from here we
will take our 4DW and drive into the Panamericana highway to
Arequipa. At 7-8 pm enter to Arequipa, directly to your
hotel and end service(B - L).
- Private 4x4 supporting vehicle whole trip
- English Speaking MT bike guide
- GT - Trek - Bianchi MT bikes in maintenance (full disc
- Gloves; windproof and full-finger glove which can also be
worn during the cold season or high altitudes
- Helmet; light ventilated and comfortable for your head
- Snack, plenty of drinking water, chocolates, fresh fruit
and energy bars
- Oxygen and first aid kit for all participants and our camp
- Repair Kit and new parts
- Biking tour include government taxes
- Our present for all participants
* Aluminum Frame (Trek/GT/Bianchi/Cannondale). Different
size 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 inches
* Front Air Shock (Rock Shox – SR Suntour – RST 110mm
travel). Excellent for long tracks, downhill and climb in XC
* Disc Brakes (Shimano Deore). Stainless Steel/Aluminum. The
lock ring mounting system enhances precision and rigidity
while improving braking efficiency.
* Stem (Zoom 10 Degree). Oversized multifunctional
adjustable for downhill and XC.
* Headsets (Cane Creek). Integrated cartridge thread less
* Saddles (Specialized). Hybrid saddle with gel cover and
* Seatpost (Easton). Full Aluminum with AL-2014 head.
* Rim (Mavic). Light and strong for MTB, XC and adapted for
V-Brake and disc brake.
* Brake Levers (Shimano Deore Aluminum). For mechanical disc
brake, Very good and modulable, have grip-lever distance
* Shift Lever (Shimano Deore Aluminum). From 3 speed – Rear
* Hollowtech Crankset (Shimano Deore Aluminum).
* Bottom Bracket (Shimano Deore). 22mm diameter hollow pipe
billet spindle reduces weight, increases strength and
* Rear Derailleur (Shimano Deore Aluminum).
* Front Derailleur (Shimano Deore Aluminum).
* Rear Freehub (Shimano Deore Aluminum).
* Front Hub (Shimano Deore Aluminum).
* Speed Casette (Shimano Deore Steel). Computer designed
Hyperglide (9 speed). Fast and responsive indexed shifting
is the result.
* Chain (Shimano Super-narrow). 9-Speed construction.
* Front Tire (Specializex Kevlar 26x2.35). Excellent in all
* Rear Tire (Tioga Yellow Kirin 26x 2.30). Excellent for
downhill land XC.
* Pedals (Shimano). Clipless or platform pedals are
- Alcoholic drinks
- Breakfast or lunch
- Tips for guide and camp staff
- Sun glasses
- Cycling shoes
- Camel bag, can be hired in our local office in Arequipa
US$3 per day
RECOMMENDED: For clients that are interested in
information regarding the region´s flora, fauna, panoramic
sights, history and culture. This trip can do the beginers
and experienced people.
Person 320 US$ . Minimum 2 people.
| Travel Information
tourism and travel information including facts, maps,
history, culture, transport and weather in Peru. Peru,
Transport in Peru, Weather, Travel Guides, Guidebooks,
Advice, Travel Information, Tips, Climate, History, Work,
Volunteering, Attractions, Entertainment, Shopping,